According to psychologists, music plays an essential role in our lives as melodies and rhythms can improve our mood in an instant. Hi-Fi, or high fidelity, systems are a means to do just that but with high-quality sound reproduction. As compared to mainstream systems, hi-fi equipment offer a wide range of entertainment possibilities. These include studio-like audio and the possibility to attach additional equipment to the kit for better delivery.
We often buy a high-end sound system for our houses and either get satisfied with whatever quality we get or become disappointed about the difference between the promise and delivery. What we don’t know is that there are various steps and ways that can be followed for enhancing the performance and getting a better sound. Some of these low-to-no-cost methods are mentioned below in the article:
1. Ensure Regular ServicingElectronic equipment, irrespective of the purpose, needs to get timely service so that its hardware and software remains updated as well as well-performing. Similarly, you should always get follow a regular servicing schedule for your hi-fi system as there are some things that can’t be fixed at home and, therefore needs an expert touch. For instance, there are various small, non-visible objects in a hi-fi audio kit that can need urgent replacement, which can significantly reduce vibrations and disturbances in the sound. Other than this, getting a consult from professionals can help you in getting some specific system upgrades that will allow you to explore a new side of the sound system.
2. Placement and PositioningThe positioning of your system can make a lot of difference in the performance you are being delivered. You may have to try out a variety of positions to get it right in the end. However, there are certain points that you need to keep in mind while placing your audio equipment in order to avoid any damages:
- The surface must be stable
- It should be resonance-free
- The amplifier, source and other equipment should be kept at a great distance from the speakers.
Other than this, another thing that needs attention during the placement process is the turntables. These devices are extremely sensitive to the signal produced by them and, therefore even slightest interference can disrupt the sound. Thus, such devices should be placed in an appropriately isolated area on a piece of furniture, which will surely lead to better performance.
Also, the speakers should be placed in the form of a triangle at the approximately same distance from your seating space. Basically, you and both the speakers have to be settled in the form of an equilateral triangle. Along with this, the system needs to placed away from the speakers for optimal sound quality.
3. Running In
Running in is an important process for your audio system to perform its best. It’s similar to wearing in your newly purchased shoes so they become comfortable later and don’t bite your foot.
During the run-in process, you mainly focus on the diaphragm or cone and spider fabric of the speaker. The diaphragm consists of the coils that lead the speaker to create vibrations reaching your ear through the air. The spider fabric, connected to the base of the cone, is effectively stretched during the running process by a continuous back and forth movement. This makes the fabric more flexible and free with an eventual improvement in sound quality.
Start from a piece of music with minimal bass and low sound volume then gradually increase the volume and switch the style of music. This will stabilize the characteristics of the speaker and you can enjoy your hi-fi system to the fullest without any shortcomings.
4. Listening in the Night or DarkPeople often say that our senses become more active in the dark, especially the capability to listen. Well, this perception is scientifically true as it is a basic human instinct to sense for danger or familiarize themselves with their surroundings through listening and smelling in case their vision is impaired.
Similarly, by listening to your hi-fi system when it is dark or night outside can significantly improve your listening experience. So, before you deem it unworthy, try the system by just closing your eyes or switching off the lights. If you really notice the difference then maybe next time you will use the equipment with full concentration and focus.
5. Cables – Forever Connecting!Another thing that you can take care of while setting up your equipment is ‘Cables’. They are crucial in interconnecting every aspect of a hi-fi system and are often ignored in terms of improving quality. If your cable is of low-quality then you will definitely be provided with inferior sound quality. This is because these wires are not able to effectively transport the necessary power and signals from one place to another.
Au contrair, a good quality cable that has been well-shielded and -made shall prevent the music signal from getting degraded mid-way. You can also use some specific cables to suit your system and provide you with particular features, such as coloring the sound.
There are more ways in which you can improve the delivery quality of your music system, including trying a new set of headphones, placing squash balls under your separates, replacing the digital-to-analog converter and changing streaming service quality settings. If there are more such tips and tricks that we have forgotten to discuss, feel free to mention them in the comments section below.