To be able to create a full-blown home cinema experience, you need to plan future upgrades, maybe invest in a future-proof TV or projector, perhaps a 4K resolution smart TV, some must-haves ports like HDMI 2.1, USB, Ethernet or Bluetooth. An intelligent wiring system and surge protection are also important.
Also, you can choose a 5.1 surround sound speaker system as your safest choice to future-proof your entertainment system at home. It consists of:
- A front-centre speaker
- A front left speaker
- A front right speaker
- A left surround speaker
- A right surround speaker
- A subwoofer
This 5.1 surround sound system is enough to support Dolby and DTS audio formats.
Having said that, when it comes to enjoying an immersive audio then a multichannel home theatre receiver is the real deal.
That’s why most importantly, you need to look for AV receiver features in your bid to create the best Home Theater.
- Ensure your AV receivers features include support for integrated music services (Spotify, Tidal, Deezer etc), either directly or via an app. Wi-Fi and Bluetooth have become common features. Also important is to look for integrated Apple Airplay and Chromecast that simplify streaming even further.
- While AV receivers are usually large and imposing, there are now options to pick from where you can choose slimline models which slot sensibly into regular AV furniture racks.
- Among one of the important AV receiver features to consider, opt for a full-height AV receiver, and you’ll easily double your output power. Volume isn’t just about loudness. The easier it is for an AV receiver to reach a comfortable cinematic listening level, the less fatiguing it will sound.
- Room equalisation during the set-up process is important for all AV receivers. As a useful AV receiver feature, using a plug-in microphone, can lead to results that are dramatically better. Alternatively, apply calibration to the surrounds but not the main stereo pair. It’s a good idea to experiment.
- Dolby Atmos audio decoding is a prerequisite for any modern AV receiver. So it’s best not to overlook one of these key AV receiver features.
- Look for AV receivers that allow you to run physical cables to a second location, either audio only or both sound and vision, for simple multiroom playback.
Here are our Top Picks for 2024
1. Marantz Cinema 70s Slimline 7.2 Channel AV Receiver
Immersive spaciousness, warm and rich tone, extraordinary detail and lifelike dynamics are legendary hallmarks of the Marantz sound.
CINEMA 70s comes replete with the latest immersive audio formats, 8K video, room optimization, streaming, and more technology to simplify and elevate your enjoyment.
It features a highly compact slimline design, the iconic Marantz porthole, and symmetrical design.
2) Denon AVC-A110 - 110th Anniversary Edition Flagship AV Amplifier
Denon AVC-A110 is feature-packed with its truly stellar, monolithic power amplifier design to ensure a dynamic and precise entertainment experience with 13.2 channel processing to power up to a 7.2.6 or 9.2.4 speaker configuration for the most immersive, 3D audio experiences.
Renders 8K/60Hz pass-through or upscaling 4K/120Hz pass-through for gaming, and with the cutting-edge HDMI specifications.
3) Marantz AV 10 15.4 Channel 8K AV Preamplifier / Processor
Marantz AV 10 comes packed with the cutting-edge immersive audio formats, 8K video, room optimization, streaming, and more technology to simplify and enhance your enjoyment.
Dirac Live is an advanced room calibration solution that enables you to optimize the sound quality of your system. This world-class software is now available as an upgrade for AV 10.
A modern expression of timeless design principles, AV 10 features the iconic Marantz porthole, premium materials, and subtle sidelights that illuminate the front panel.
4) McIntosh MHT300 7.2 channel Home Theater AV Receiver
The McIntosh MHT300 Home Theater AV Receiver is a dynamic 7.2 (or 5.2.2) channel home theater powerhouse sure to heighten your emotional connection to what you are watching.
With full support for the superb 8K/60Hz and 4K/120Hz video and leading home theater surround sound audio formats Dolby® Atmos and DTS:X™, plus rendering 120 – 150 Watts of legendary McIntosh power to your home theater speakers, the MHT300 will make your home theater dreams come to life.
5) Yamaha AVENTAGE RX-A4A 7.2 Channel AV Receiver
This 7.2-channel AVENTAGE network AV receiver features Dolby Atmos and DTS: X for surround sound realism. With the most cutting-edge in HDMI technologies, experience movies in stunning 4K Ultra HD and high dynamic range (HDR).
The free MusicCast app makes it effortless to access your music library and streaming music services.
Add audio in up to 9 additional rooms with MusicCast wireless speakers or other MusicCast devices. Wi-Fi, Bluetooth and AirPlay wireless connectivity, a phono input for vinyl playback and Zone B HDMI out provide added system versatility.
Also Read: What to look for when buying an AV receiver
Hopefully, this article helped you get insights into the concept of a future-proof home theater including the key AV receiver features that can help you make savvy decisions that will keep your entertainment experience top-notch for years to come.